|Album:||Big Band Bossa Nova|
|Released:||Europe, 18 Jun 2021|
|A1||Soul Bossa Nova|
|Written-By - Quincy Jones|
|A2||Boogie Bossa Nova (Aka Boogie Stop Shuffle)|
|Written-By - Charles Mingus|
|Written-By - Antonio Carlos Jobim, Newton Mendonça|
|A4||Manha De Carnaval (Morning Of The Carnival)|
|Written-By - Luiz Bonfá|
|A5||Se E Tarde, Me Perdoa (Forgive Me If I'm Late)|
|Written-By - Carlos Lyra, Ronaldo Boscoli|
|A6||A Taste Of Honey|
|Written-By - Robert Scott, Ric Marlow|
|B1||On The Street Where You Live|
|Written-By - Frederick Loewe-Alan Jay Lerner|
|B2||Samba De Uma Nota Só (One Note Samba)|
|Written-By - Antonio Carlos Jobim|
|B3||Lalo Bossa Nova|
|Written-By - Lalo Schifrin|
|Written-By - Leroy Anderson|
|B5||Chega De Saudade (No More Blues)|
|Written-By - Antonio Carlos Jobim, Vinicius de Moraes|
Info About Buying Vinyl From Our Record Store
- We are a small independent record store located at 91 Plenty Rd, Preston in Melbourne, Australia (North of Northcote, between Thornbury & Reservoir)
- We buy and sell new and used vinyl records - if you have a collection you'd like to sell please click here.
- We ship Australia wide for a flat rate of $10 for standard shipping or $15 for express post.
- Free Shipping for orders $125 and over.
- You can also pick up your order in store, just select Local Pickup at the checkout.
- We also ship internationally - prices vary depending on weight and location.
- We ship vinyls in thick, rigid carboard mailers with a crushable zone on either side, and for extra safety we bubble wrap the records.
- We almost always ship your vinyl next business day (excluding pre orders)
- We are strongly committed to customer satisfaction. If you experience any problems with your order contact us so we can rectify the situation. If the record arrives damaged or doesn't arrive we will cover the cost of replacing or returning the record.
- If you change your mind you have 30 days to return your record but you must cover the cost of returning it to the store.
- You can contact our Melbourne record shop at (03) 9939 3807 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Happy Listening!
"Big Band Bossa Nova," released in 1962, is an album by the legendary American musician and producer Quincy Jones. This album represents a pivotal moment in the fusion of jazz with Brazilian music, particularly bossa nova, which was gaining popularity in the United States at the time. "Big Band Bossa Nova" showcases Jones' mastery in blending these musical styles, featuring big band arrangements of bossa nova classics and original compositions that exude the rhythmic and melodic essence of Brazilian music.
The album opens with "Soul Bossa Nova," a track that has since become iconic, known for its catchy, upbeat melody and distinctive rhythm. This song epitomizes the fusion of jazz and bossa nova, with its vibrant brass arrangements and rhythmic drive. "Soul Bossa Nova" gained renewed popularity years later as the theme for the "Austin Powers" film series, illustrating its enduring appeal.
"Manhã de Carnaval" (Morning of Carnival) is another highlight of the album, featuring a lush and emotive arrangement of this classic bossa nova tune. The track showcases Jones' ability to adapt Brazilian music within a big band context, maintaining the song's original beauty and sentiment while adding a new, jazz-influenced dimension.
"Se É Tarde Me Perdoa" (Forgive Me If It's Late) is a delightful rendition of a Brazilian bossa nova standard. The arrangement captures the laid-back, samba-like feel of the original while incorporating the harmonic richness and textural depth of a big band. The interplay between the brass and rhythm sections on this track is a testament to Jones' skill as an arranger and bandleader.
Throughout "Big Band Bossa Nova," Quincy Jones skillfully navigates the balance between the intricacy of jazz and the simplicity of bossa nova. The album's arrangements are sophisticated yet accessible, highlighting the melodic and rhythmic beauty of Brazilian music while infusing it with the energy and complexity of American jazz.
The production quality of the album is notable for its clarity and balance, allowing the rich arrangements and varied instrumental textures to shine. Each track is carefully crafted to bring out the best of both the jazz and bossa nova elements.
In conclusion, "Big Band Bossa Nova" is a significant album in the discography of Quincy Jones and in the history of jazz and bossa nova fusion. The album's innovative approach to merging these genres opened new avenues for cross-cultural musical exploration and set a precedent for future collaborations between American jazz musicians and Brazilian artists. "Big Band Bossa Nova" not only showcases Quincy Jones' remarkable talents as a musician, arranger, and producer but also celebrates the universal appeal and versatility of music as a bridge between different cultures.